Amazfit Bip is a simple, no-nonsense smartwatch. For a user with basic needs it serves the purpose really well.
I liked one of the following stock digital watch faces that it provides:
But there were some glaring limitations in it that I wanted to fix:
- It has a seconds display - which is a drain on the battery because the display refreshes every second.
- There is no way of knowing how much battery is left - the current indication might be for 15, 20, 30%.
- There are no icons for - bluetooth, alarm, dnd or watch lock status.
- There is no 24h display variant of this watchface.
I browsed several watch faces on the Amazfit watch faces site in the hope that someone might have noticed the same things as I did, and hopefully fixed them. But I couldn’t find any fixes for the above.
I ranted about the same on reddit, got some initial help, poked around a bit and found the instructions to modify watchfaces on this thread. It just required some basic image editing and json config changes.
Did that and I released 2 versions of my work:
- Digital progress meter with icons
- Digital progress meter with icons v2
This is a gif of the v2 watchface that I created:
- I never thought I would do need to do image editing or simple design cleanup. But we learn everything we need to when we want to scratch our own itch.